Having established a water sports park, you may need to hire a manager to run the facility. The success of your water sports park will depend, to a great extent, on the caliber of person hired to manage it. You therefore need to put in a lot of effort while hiring the manager, to ensure that you get the best possible person. In the actual process of hiring a manager for a water sports park, you will need to:
- First have clarity on the type of person you need: here, you need to ask yourself the question as to what the ideal water sports park manager would look like. What sort of qualifications are you looking for? What sort of experience are you looking for? You would then embark on the recruitment exercise with clarity.
- Advertise the position (or headhunt): so you have two options here. The first option is to advertise the position. The second option is to headhunt – and this applies if you have identified a highly qualified candidate who is already working somewhere else.
- Conduct objective interviews for the position: ideally, you should use the highly objective interviewing system, where candidates are (strictly) awarded points based on a certain criterion. So you award a certain number of points for qualifications, a certain number of points for experience, a certain number of points for leadership potential… and so on. Then you short-list the candidates with the best scores.
- Shortlist the candidates: the candidates to be shortlisted should be those who performed best at the interviews. These may, for instance, be the candidates with the best combinations of qualifications, experience, leadership potential… and so on.
- Select the most suitable candidate: you now compare the short-listed candidates, in order to select the best of the best. Come to think of it, the whole thing is akin to the process you follow while trying to select a suitable gift card for a loved one. That is where, for instance, you may visit a gift cards site (like www.mygiftcardsite.com) and go through the list of the various gift cards that are meant to be managed through the portal. Then, based on the facts you discover at mygiftcardsite.com, you select the most ideal gift card. So at this stage, you may now come up with a different criterion, on the basis of which you compare the short-listed candidates, in order to select the best one. You may, for instance, opt for the one who is likely to last long in the position. Or you may opt for the one who is likely to bring new business to the water sports park. Or at yet another level, you may opt for the one who has useful connections that are likely to benefit the water sports park…
- Discuss the job description with the selected candidate: so the objective here is to ensure that the selected candidate has a clear understanding of the expectations, before he or she is deployed to work as a water sports park manager.
- Deploy the selected candidate: here, the main thing is to introduce the candidate to the office, get him to be conversant with the facility (and the support staff already working there). You should then allow him to craft and implement a management plan.